Employer: Burnfoot Community Futures
Salary: £6.56-£8.91 per hour
Closing Date: N/A
The purpose of the organisation is to improve the educational, recreational, social, and cultural life of the community of Burnfoot. Established in 2006, BCF has worked within the community on the development of one of the first community action planning exercises in the Borders.
Since 2007 BCF has taken forward a number of actions resulting from the Burnfoot Local Community Action Plan and has been involved in the direct delivery of a range of projects from the plan. Burnfoot Community Futures manages and oversees the new Community Hub, a community owned and run centre with a Café, Soft Play, Crazy Golf, Community Garden and lively events programme, as well as function/meeting rooms for hire.
The successful candidate will learn how to grow food and see the progression from seed to plate by helping in our community garden.
The post holder will:
- Learn some very basic gardening skills to experience food growing right through from sowing seed to harvesting
- Learn more about how food grows and the care and maintenance needed to help the vegetables and fruit reach their potential.
- Participate in all areas of garden food production
- Work with gardening volunteers to keep community garden productive.
- Keep the garden clean, tidy and free from rubbish and hazards
- Help with general gardening tasks, weeding, digging etc.
The post holder will also learn more about the supply chain of food by helping with our foodshare/fareshare scheme
- To help pick up from supermarkets
- To sort through the Fareshare donations as they come in.
- Keep fridge and foodshare room clean and free of debris
- To check quality control and display of stock in the fridge, stand and foodshare room.
- To ensure stock rotation to keep food fresh
- Putting unsuitable donations into the compost bin/waste pick up and wrappers to be recycled appropriately.
- To assist with the distribution of foodshare, making up bags for delivery and making up bags for pick up at appropriate times.
- Manning our foodshare stall when necessary
- To assist with producing and making up recipe and activity packs as required
- To keep foodshare room clean and tidy, including regularly wiping all surface with pink spray, sweeping and mopping floor and cleaning fridge and stand.
- To work with and help our foodshare volunteers
The successful candidate will also help with garden produce and foodshare and help turn produce into meals in cooking workshops/lunch for volunteers and working in the Café Kitchen.
Training opportunities include Basic First Aid, Food Handling, Cooking, Gardening.
If you would like to share any job opportunities or vacancies please email firstname.lastname@example.org with further details.